The art of napkin folding and elegance of table decorating may seem inherently feminine, but there are napkin folds with a more masculine feel. Whether planning a wedding with the groom’s taste in mind or hosting a dinner for dads fun napkin folds can add a masculine element to any tablescape.
- The Tuxedo: This fold sounds just like it looks, like an elegant tuxedo. Add in some embellishments like small bows as bowties to complete the look. A white cloth napkin will give you a classic tuxedo feel, but any color will do.
- Ruffled Shirt: This architectural take on a men’s dress shirt gives a modern look with a masculine edge.
- The Arrow: Reminiscent of a paper airplane, the arrow napkin fold can be achieved in only 7 steps. Use white napkins for a classic look or colored napkins for a more modern take.
- Necktie: In fewer than 10 steps you can transform any solid colored or patterned napkin into an exact replica necktie. As an added feature you can place with the bottom-side on top and tuck in silverware.
- Collared Shirt: A simpler version of the tuxedo and ruffled shirt folds, the collared shirt can be achieved in only 6 steps. Solid color or patterned napkins will make the most impact with this iconic look.
- The Knot: It doesn’t get much easier than this simple fold featuring a large knot in the center. You can tuck messages, place cards, or favors into the knot for added functionality.
- Bowtie: A classic and simple bow napkin fold can also serve as a bowtie. Simply choose a masculine fabric and embellish in the center with a solid metal napkin ring.
You don’t have to be an expert napkin folder to try out these easy techniques. If decorative folding just isn’t in the cards, most straight-forward napkin folds like a square or elongated fold will do the job.